BornPrettyStore Review: French Manicure Water Decals


TGIF... and it's also a LONG weekend! I got a new camera lens, so hopefully my photos look better :) It's a macro lens, so it takes really nice photos up close! Can you guys tell any difference in my photos? It also has a neat feature (which I don't know if everyone will agree that it's neat) where it makes the focal point really sharp, but the background blurry. I think it's awesome because I try to do that when I edit photos anyways, so it saves me a step :)

Anyways, I have something pretty neat to show you. My last two posts were reviews on two stamping plates from BornPrettyStore (#1 and #2), and this time I am reviewing a set of water decals that are for french manicures! I have only ever seen people use nail wraps/stickers on their whole nails but never water decals (for the tips or whole nail coverage). 


BornPrettyStore sent me their French Edge Nail Art Water Decals Transfer Stickers in style B-058. They were so pretty online, and even prettier in person. I couldn't wait to use them! I've used water decals before, and it's pretty straight forward - cut your design out, dip it in water for 10-20 seconds, slide the decal off the paper and stick it onto your nail. Easy right? Unfortunately, these were not the case.

I started off by cutting the designs accordingly to my nail shape/size, then dipping it into water for 10-20 seconds. I slid the decal off the paper backing and put it on my nail. Usually the decal would have somewhat of a stick to my nail, but this time it wouldn't stay put. I thought it was because I was putting it on my bare nail, so I put a base coat on and tried again (thinking it might need a tacky layer of polish or something). NOPE. Didn't stay either.. so I pressed it into place firmly, wiping away any excess water. I read the instructions, and it said to blow dry it at this point. I figured I'd try that, seeing as it might set the decal onto my nail. Nope... didn't work either. So I just let it sit on my nail for a while, and moved onto the next nail. I folded over the excess decal around & under my nails. They sort of stayed on my nails, but not firmly. So I put a layer of top coat (PRO-FX - Complete 3) on to seal it onto my nails. That seemed to work! But then how was I supposed to get rid of the excess water decal hanging off my nail? I got a nail art brush, dipped it into 100% acetone and kind of brushed it away.. then I sealed the underneath of my nails to lock in any leftover decal. (NOTE: the acetone did continue to eat away at the water decal and made it have the appearance of it being chipped after a day or so).

It took A LONG time to get all 10 of my nails done like this (struggles!). Usually for nail art, I only do one hand.. but I have to admit, my nails looked CUTEEEE with these decals on.. so it was worth the struggle!! 

If anyone has tried something like these out before, PLEASE give me tips on how to apply them better! I would LOVE to give these a try again, but the time it took to put them on throws me off.

These French Tip Water Decals are $1.99 and are available HERE.
Thanks to BornPrettyStore for sending me these :)
Don't forget to use code AJB10 for 10% OFF your order!


In my lightbox, no flash

In my lightbox, no flash
With flash, against my wall


Labels: